Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm an Army wife

Fort Bragg, established in 1918 and sitting next to Pope Air Force Base, is a 127,000-acre plot of land filled with sandy hills, a crap-ton of pine trees, and thousands of soldiers. The two bases make up one of the largest military complexes in the world — a place I now call "home."

In the blazing summer heat of 90 to three-digit degree weather, this U.S. Army field artillery site, which was named after Confederate General Braxton Bragg, a former artillery officer and North Carolinian, is where I have begun to go about my daily business as a new addition to the military "family."




 "I love my soldier" and "Army Wife" bumper stickers are everywhere, but are no where near me. It's true I love my husband and yes, I am the wife of a soldier, but I refuse to let that signify who I am.





You might think of the Lifetime show, Army Wives, based on the novel by Tanya Biank (who apparently worked for my boss back in the 90's) when you think about the Army and Army lifestyles. And in some cases, the basic story lines are true. Obviously, I like the show, because it's entertaining and I can sort of relate but it's still a little on the corny side.

The reality is that being an Army wife means that you've signed up to be in the Army too — a whole lot of bullshit not knowing when things are happening or not happening, crappy cities, Army lingo and acronyms, FRG meetings (Family Readiness Group, for those that choose to attend), and loneliness.

A life of being away from your significant other due to training, school, and deployments equals some sort of loneliness, especially when you move to a new state where you know no one. That's the typical story of an Army wife.

I'm saying it's not a glamorous life like the show portrays and by no means a life I would've pictured myself leading only a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure Fayetteville, A.K.A. "Fayette-nam," was not ever going to become my dream city where I would relocate to and start a family, but I guess it's beginning to grow on me.

But let me get back to that whole deployment issue. Right now, Darrell is "playing in the sandbox" on his six-month deployment. It's true that it could be worse. He could be gone for 9 or 12 or 15 months, but I hate it when people tell me "at least it's a short deployment..."

That's still a half a year that we can never get back!

This is the day Darrell left for his deployment. It was a really sad day... At least the picture turned out okay. July 12, 2010

Being an Army wife is not a lifestyle I'm really sure I know how to lead, but I'm working on it.

It's just another serving I'll just have to swallow for now.

Hooah! (Just kidding... You'll never hear me say that ever.)

Source: http://www.bragg.army.mil/history/fortbragghistoryshort.htm

1 comment:

  1. I hate that word. You better not ever say that again :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete